In my 42 years as a Scottish wedding Dj I’ve been to hundreds of weddings, and I’ve been to several that I would consider perfect. I’ve been to lots of really extravagant weddings in some outstanding venues and I’ve been to lots in local church, Masonic and council halls. So what makes the perfect wedding?
Well in my opinion there are lots of things that contribute to a perfect wedding and here in my opinion are the top ones:
1. The bride and groom! If the bride and groom are really chilled out, relaxed and friendly and want to party and be up dancing all night then their guests will follow suit. This may sound a little obvious but believe me when the bride and groom want to party and encourage all their guests to join in it really matters. It makes my life as a Dj far easier too!
2. Choice of venue. I think this is one of the most important decisions when trying to create a perfect wedding. I would advise you to look at lots of wedding venues. Don’t overstretch your budget and then have to cut back on things like the buffet. I went to a venue recently in Coatbridge that I would consider as one of the best venues I’ve ever been to in 42 years as a wedding Dj. The St Augustine’s Hall was perfect. A stunning function room that cost less than £100 to hire for the day! It had great staff who couldn’t do enough for you. The buffet was outstanding and cost only £6.50 per head! I went up 3 times because it was so delicious! The venue was spotless, it had great led lighting in the roof and there wasn’t anything I could fault!
There are several venues I love going to in Scotland for their wow factor: Bunchrew House near Inverness, Achnagairn House near Inverness, Bearnock Lodge that I wrote about last week. In the south west of Scotland my favourite venue is GG’s Barn on the A75 between Castle Douglas and Gatehouse of Fleet.
When choosing a venue think about the costs for your guests. Can they afford to drink and maybe stay at your chosen venue. If you pick a very expensive venue will your guests opt to leave early and not stay over?
I firmly believe that a perfect wedding can be achieved on a very reasonable budget and you don’t have to spend a fortune.
3. Location, location, location! A stunning location with beautiful gardens or a beautiful venue will look good in your photos! It will also put your guests on a high being in a beautiful venue.
The moment I arrived at Bearnock Lodge I could feel this amazing atmosphere! The venue with its movie set style marquee in the gardens was so beautiful and romantic and I think this really helped make it a dream wedding.
4. Invite some party animals to your wedding! I’ve met some great guests who just wanted to have fun! A wedding I did in Mabie House Hotel near Dumfries had a great crowd. The videos are on my you tube channel: http://youtube.com/platinumdiscostel07434943106
My cheeks were sore with laughing at the antics of several of the guests! The whole wedding was fun and had a great atmosphere and my job as the wedding Dj was to get people dancing and to actively encourage these “party makers” to continue doing what they were doing.
5. Hire great entertainment. Whether you hire a band or a Wedding Dj do your research carefully. Check out independent review sites, Facebook reviews, website reviews etc. One of the reasons I record all the events I do and post them on You Tube is to prove how well an event went by showing you a customer review and videos from the event the review came from. This makes it 100% genuine.
6. Good food! Find a venue with exceptional caterers. A really nice meal always goes down well. A really good buffet later on for the evening guests makes such a difference too!
7. Read customer reviews on line for your venues your looking at.
8. Take out wedding insurance! Recently a couple of big hotels went bust and left their brides and groom’s plans in tatters. Don’t let your dream wedding be ruined by such an eventuality.
9. Make your wedding personal to you but remember the needs of your guests too. Be great hosts, choose music for all your guests, make it easy for them to stay over. A growing number of Castle and big house type weddings hire you the entire venue for exclusive use for a few days and the majority or all your guests can stay over. Although they might initially look expensive, look at hotel room costs, food and drink prices etc and they can actually be great value!
10. Relax, have fun and enjoy your day! Don’t get caught up with having to do everything to an exact schedule! It just puts pressure on you and find suppliers who are equally relaxed and helpful too.